Balderson Spreadable Cheese

Add to cart
  • Description
  • More

200 Gram

American Favorite!!

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
Spreadable cheese made with Balderson's premium 3-year-old cheddar.

formed in 1881 as a co-operative starting with fifty-one milk shippers

The Balderson Cheese Co. was . In 1892-93, it was one of twelve factories involved in the Mammoth Cheese. In 1929, the original factory was destroyed by fire but was immediately rebuilt.


  • Serving Size Per 2.0 tbsp (30 g)
% Daily Value*
Calories90 cal
Fat7 g9 %
Saturates4.5 g
+ Trans0.3 g9 %
Carbohydrate1 g0 %
Sugars1 g1 %
Fiber0 g0 %
Protein4 g
Potassium30 mg1 %
Cholesterol20 mg
Sodium220 mg10 %
% Daily Value*
Vitamin A0 %
Vitamin C0 %
Calcium125 mg10 %
Iron0 mg0 %

*5% or less is a little, 15% or more is a lot

The values stated are approximate and may not be fully representational of this products vitamins, nutrients and ingredients.

Ingredients

Cheese* (milk, Bacterial Culture, Salt, Rennet And/or Microbial Enzyme, Cellulose), Water, Milk Ingredients, Salt, Carob Bean Gum, Xanthan Gum, Guar Gum, Bactérial Culture, ß-apo-8'-carotenal, *may Contain Calcium Chloride. Contains: Milk.
Image

CREATED AT THE CROSSROADS

In 1881, the local dairy farmers of Lanark County, Ontario decided to form a dairy collective, pool their excess milk production, and build a factory to produce a local cheddar cheese.
 
They built a small, wood-frame building at a crossroads known locally as Balderson Corners, named after John Balderson, a retired sergeant from the British army who was among the first homesteaders in the area in the 1860s. With that, the Balderson Corners Cheese Factory was born.

COMMUNITY BUILT
AROUND CHEDDAR

As years passed, Balderson Corners Cheese Factory became a focal point for the community with a settlement growing around the operation.
 
Balderson’s success even brought several competitors to the area, but the tradition of careful aging, pleasing sharpness, and smooth texture and flavour could never be emulated by others.

Image
Image

OVER A CENTURY OF
CRAFTSMANSHIP

Balderson continued to prosper through the 1900s until misfortune struck in 1928. The factory was devastated by a fire, but shortly after new one was constructed and Balderson was able to resume without missing a cheesemaking season.
 
There were several expansions over the following decades and a new store opened in 1970. As the 2000s approached, Balderson had a global presence, spreading from community crossroads to major capitals in North America and the U.K.

TRADITIONS NEVER CHANGE

It’s been over 140 years, and to this day we still make cheese with the same pride, dedication, and craftsmanship that once drew people together at Balderson Corners.

Image
Image

Where Is Balderson
Cheese Made Today?

The Balderson cheese factory location has moved to three state-of-the-art facilities across Ontario in Winchester, Belleville, and Windsor, and provides cheese lovers with the same delicious tastes they’ve savoured for over a century.

Balderson

Most famously, the village of Balderson is the home of Balderson Cheese! You can still purchase some of this award-winning legacy, just one more excuse to spend a lazy afternoon amid this lovely rural community.

Originally called “Balderson Corners,” this village was named after Sergeant John Balderson, who served with the 76th regiment under the Duke of Wellington. Born in Lincoln, England, in 1783, Sargeant Balderson set sail for the New World when the regiment was disbanded, and was the first settler on this one-hundred acre property in 1816.

He and the several settlers who followed were an industrious bunch, building two churches, a school, an Orange Hall, a Post Office, two hotels among other necessary buildings such as saw mills and blacksmith shops and established roads to Lanark and Fallbrook.

The Anglican and Presbyterian churches were built in the early 1830s which were replaced in 1885 and 1905 by the splendid stone churches that remain in the village today. The first school was a log building which served until 1865 when the school district bought the Orange Hall across the road. That building served as the village school until 1968. The Post Office opened in 1858 in Agnus McDonald’s Hotel, one of two hotels in the village. Upkeep of the roads around the village were funded by two tollgates; one on the route north to Lanark and west of the village toward Fallbrook.

In 1881, the Balderson Cheese and Butter Company was formed and a factory was built. Balderson was one of twelve factories that contributed curds used to produce the 22,000 lb. Mammoth Cheese which was sent to the 1893 World’s Fair in Chicago.

Since the busy days of cheese making, Balderson has grown into a tourist destination with quaint shops and friendly residents welcoming people from around the world. A popular stop for cyclist, make sure you add Balderson to your plans. Treat yourself to an ice cream or sample some of their famous Balderson Cheese you won’t be disappointed.